“What would you suggest we wear for our session?” is what many photographers hear often from about every couple involving their own individual engagement sessions. Engagement photos are a great way to get to know your photographer, and for that photographer to get to know you as a couple. On your actual wedding day, you will feel more comfortable around your photographer, and the photographer can take images that better show your personalities and relationship.
Consider the location where you’ll be shooting and the mood you want to create, and then pick the perfect outfits to match. Some suggestions on what to wear for your session are:
- Wear something comfortable. If you’re not comfortable, it will be noticeable in the pictures.
- It’s best not to wear tight jeans or other tight clothes that could restrict movement or show curves that you don’t want to show.
- Wear clothes that are on the same level of dressiness. Don’t dress up and have your fiance wear their everyday street clothes. Coordinate your clothing with each other and wear similar shades that go together. Choose clothes that look best on you, but don’t be too matchy.
- Wear something you love, and make sure it’s “you”. Choosing clothing that compliments your personality, will make it shine through the photographs.
- Avoid trendy clothing. This will date your photos as soon as the trend goes out of style.
- Choose solid colors because patterned prints will look busy in photos and draw attention away from your face, so choosing solid colors are often best.
- Choose colors that compliment your skin tone. For example, if you have light skin, white or light color clothing can wash out your complexion in photographs.
- Have the clothes match the location and season of your shoot. If you are taking pictures in a downtown area, you might consider more urban clothes, such as a nice button up shirt for your guy and more dressy pants or dress for yourself.
- Wear shoes you love. Shoes can make a statement!
- Avoid any major changes with your hair and makeup. You want your engagement photos to reflect who you really are, and you want to be comfortable in your own skin.
- Consider bringing an outfit to change into mid-way through your photo session. You could start the session wearing dressy clothes, and then change into more casual clothes (or vice versa).
Here are just a few images that I found (and loved!) for inspiration:
If you are still stuck on what to wear, check out your photographer’s blog to see what couples, just like you, are wearing. There are also so many wedding inspiration blogs out there that can make you inspired; Style Me Pretty, 100 Layer Cake, Ruffled, Green Wedding Shoes, Snippet and Ink, to name a few. Or check out Pinterest, which has an endless amount of inspiration.
Your engagement pictures can be used for your Save the Dates, guest books or just in frames to decorate your cocktail hour or reception and of course, will be used around your house. Take a little time to make these photos priceless in the many years to come.